Onboarding plays a crucial part in the recruitment process where an organization can create a great impression on the new joining employees. Such an important process definitely needs to have a perfect plan in place to avoid making bad first impressions. Here are a few important things suggested by the top human resources consultancy professionals that the organizations must do to make their onboarding process a successful event.
- Structured plan: Every organization should have a structured onboarding plan in place for periods of 30 days, 60 days, and 90 days to be prepared to welcome the new hires into the organization and help them settle in the new environment with ease. HR consultants say, although organizations have their plans chalked out for the short term, they tend to ignore the long term planning. It has been observed that employees who go through a structured onboarding process tend to stay with the organization for a longer tenure compared to those that didn’t have a proper onboarding process.
- First-day checklist: There are certain things that every new employee wants to know about the organization one is going to join and with the appropriate first-day onboarding process, the employee will get all the information required and, per HR consulting firms, this helps in creating a long-lasting impression on the employee.
- Orientation: HR personnel of an organization should be fully prepared for the new-hire orientation process for the first day by keeping ready all the papers and documents required to be signed and copies of policies that need to be handed over to the new employees.
- Office tour: According to the leading HR consulting firms, giving a glimpse of the office to the new employees in the form of office tour will help them get comfortable in their new setting.
- Team intro: Make the new hires meet their team members and managers so that they can mingle with each other and get to know them and assess how they are feeling at the new place.
- Workstation: Set a time for the new employee to get introduced to his/her workstation and set up their system login etc and provide with a notepad and pen to scribble down if anything important. This will set the tone for the employee to get accustomed to the workplace and make it his/her zone for an unspecified time in the future.
- Schedule: Provide the new hire with an onboarding schedule for the first week and if possible for a longer duration so that the employee doesn’t sit idle and has a smooth onboarding process.
- First-week checklist: Per the top HR consultants, every organization should have a structured onboarding plan in place at least for the first week without fail. This will help the organization and the new employee to know each other in a better way.
- Team members: Making the new employee sit with an existing team member and getting him/her trained by that senior member of the team will give them a clear picture of his/her role and responsibility in the team and also strengthen their bond.
- About company and process: In the first week of joining, a new employee must be taken through a company orientation and process orientation so as to give the new employee a brief but thorough idea about the history of the organization, organizational values and how the process helps the company, etc. This will help the employee understand the role he/she will play in the business and motivate to perform with full dedication.
- 30/60/90 Days checklist: Every company must create its 30-day, 60-day and 90-day new hire orientation checklist consisting of the employee’s role in the team and how they are performing, the establishment of periodic goals for the employee, team mingling activities, the celebration of small accomplishments and timely feedback.
Organizations can approach the human resources consultancy firms for a hassle-free new-hire orientation process because having and following a structured new-hire orientation plan will ensure setting of appropriate expectations and providing reasonable feedback to the new employees which make the organization retain a wonderful talent pool.