Employee absenteeism is a huge thing that is not just associated with the respective employee but also affects the overall workplace ethics, morale and productivity. Employee absenteeism has far-reaching effects influencing the business financials as well. HR consultants insist that organizations should develop appropriate attendance policy and ensure that it is followed to avoid the detrimental effects of absenteeism and maintain workplace morale. Although people miss work due to several reasons, some could be planned and for genuine reasons while some could be unplanned and for reasons that are not genuine too. According to the HR consulting firms, organizations can face several kinds of issues, some of which are discussed here.
- Productivity: The most affected aspect by absenteeism is the individual productivity of employees. Once in a while and planned absenteeism is all right but, when leaves are unscheduled and exceed the normal limit, they affect the productivity of the respective employee. Working less usually results in less productivity and the causes of the leaves could vary anything from illness to burnout at the workplace. HR management consulting services experts suggest that organizations should have an effective process in place to track the number of leaves availed by the employees and identify the reasons for absenteeism so as to address the issues effectively.
- Team Performance: Regular absenteeism of employees in a team directly affects the team performance because the other team members are overloaded with work of the employees who are absent and it affects the productivity of individual employees who are making up for the absent employees as well as the whole team productivity.
- Financials: According to the top HR consultants, if not controlled, the bottom line of the organizations gets impacted adversely due to absent employees and this happens because either overtime payments increase the direct costs shrinking the profit margins or the revenues get affected because of unavailability of key personnel to perform their tasks leading to missing deadlines and failing to accomplish set goals in time.
- Low morale: Regular absenteeism of employees should be curbed tactfully in time or else, it may drastically affect the morale of other employees who resent the chronic absence of their co-workers. This may lead to strife among team members and cause poor working relations which show a negative impact on productivity and revenues in the long run.
- Resent management: In the absence of appropriate attendance and leave management system in place, the employees who are regular to work may feel dejected and may either follow others who are irregular to work or may leave the organization to find a better workplace that respects their sincerity and hard work.
Organizations should ensure that they have procedures and tools in place to track and rectify any kind of attendance issues. For this, they need to either have in-house HR employees or hire HR consulting firms that can advise them appropriately and develop policies and procedures that would keep employees on track.